Ficando em Curitiba

Monday, November 27, 2006

I rode the bus with porteiro Ze

Heeellloooo Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul! We arrived in the city about 2 hours ago and it is not a huge city, but defenetly bigger than aracatuba. The bus ride was about 7 1/2 hours through the state of Sao Paulo and the one we're in now of course. We had fun on the bus, I took a little nap, read a lot of one of my primary resources for my internship paper, and listened to my iPod the whole time. Okay so lemme tell you about porteiro Ze. We had it arranged by our boss that in all of our busrides and plane trips we ride in seats 13 and 14, always. So today was no different, except for the man that was sitting behind me. He was SUPER caipeira, straight out of the northeast..he talked incredebly loud and i could bearly understand a word that he said as he was talking to the guy sitting next to him. I thought it was hullarious, so i took a video of the scenery outside and caught him talking on tape...Quent, dont worry I'll be sure to email it to ya so you can have memories of Fortaleza! Then go to www.porteiroze.com and watch one of the cartoons, its a dead ringer of that guy hahaha.Since everyone on the bus also had what Camila called "Caipeira face" we decided to be caipeira too...for those that dont speak portuguese that would be the equivalent of the word hick or redneck. We took this picture of us being "amazed" at my iPod. One time when we were on study abroad this old man was on the bus with us and we kept saying, alguem viu o meu iPod (mais eh pronuciado i-pode neh..) a gente perguntou acho 4 ou 5 vezes e alquele homem velho disse "essas coisas de pode e nao pode" he had no clue what we were talking about, I almost burst out laughing. Its not funny in english so i wont try to explain it.
This picture is when I was studying from my book Opertunity Forgone: Education in Brazil. It has good information about how the school system is set up in Brazil, but it is really dated, and I dont know how much I can use from it. But its a good way to see the history of education in Brazil, and it explains from the point of view of Brazilian authors from the top universities in Brazil as to why the system is very flawed and needs major reform to start competing on an international scale. I still havent figured out what exactly my thesis is going to be but i need to figure that out soon!Camila looking at the lady across from us...she was asleep within the first 10 minutes, but at least she didnt snore!
Right now we are just chilling out watching a cartoon movie, its really funny and you dont have to think about anything to watch it which is always a bonus! Tomorrow we are going to be teaching another workshop until friday for 3 hours a day. That means we will have time to go explore things in the city and maybe replace my busted suit case, sounds exciting huh? Well I'm going to get back to watching this movie, but to all those that went back to school today, the semesters almost done now, so just hang in there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home